Dayora Oyster Mushrooms (Pty) Ltd
Delicious and Extremely High Nutritional value!
(See Crispy Oyster Mushroom picture below)
What you need:
300g of fresh oyster mushrooms
2 eggs (I use only the whites)
1 tsp salt
150g plain flour
50g corn flour
5g baking powder (I used double acting)
enough oil for deep frying
Mix together plain flour, corn flour and baking powder
wash clean mushrooms, cut lengthwise (remove the stem)
Dip mushroom in the egg whites, drain
Put the mushrooms in the flour mixture, make sure all are fully coated
Heat oil in frying pan and deep fry mushrooms til crisp
Remove from heat and drain over kitchen towel, let cool
Sprinkle with garlic salt and toss well
Keep in airtight container
What you will need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 punnet oyster mushrooms
1 garlic clove, minced
1 green onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat until hot but no smoking. Immediately add mushrooms and garlic, and saute for 2 - 3 minutes, regularly stirring with spatula. After 2-3 minutes of sauteing, reduce heat a bit and sprinkle the mushrooms with a little bit of salt, stir to mix,cover with lid and continue to cook the mushrooms for another 5-7 minutes, occasionally stirring, until they are soften and release some juices. Having the lid on will allow mushrooms generate some moisture and not get burned. Mushrooms should be cooked for a total of 7-10 minutes.
If there is too much liquid in the pan, cook for 1 - 2 more minutes uncovered, on medium heat, to let extra moisture evaporate.
When mushrooms are completely cooked, add half of chopped green onions to the mushrooms, mix and season the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
When serving, top each serving with the remaining chopped green onions.
A recipe for a quick vegetarian spaghetti full of flavors and textures. Suggestions are included for how to make this vegan.
∙ Serves 2
· 5 Garlic cloves
· 1 Lemon, Juice of small
· 250 g Oyster mushrooms
· 200 g Peas, fresh
Pasta & grains
· 300 g Spaghetti
Baking & spices
· 1 Chili oil
· 1 Lots of Salt and cracked black pepper
Oils & vinegars
· 1 Olive oil
· 1 ball Buffalo mozzarella, fresh
· 50g (3.5 Tblsps) of butter
a creamy tart packed with earthy mushrooms, sitting atop a flakey, crispy cornmeal crust.
for the cornmeal crust
· 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· ¼ cup cornmeal
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
· 1 large egg
for the tart filling
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 2 shallots, thinly sliced
· 1 garlic clove, chopped
· 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped
· 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
· 1 pound wild mushrooms (i used a mixture of shiitake, maitake, and oyster)
· 1 teaspoon salt
· black pepper, to taste
· ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
· ¼ cup whole milk
· 2 large eggs
· ½ cup grated gouda cheese
· ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
first, make the cornmeal crust
1. in a food processor, pulse together the flour, cornmeal, and salt. add the butter and continue pulsing until the butter is in pieces the size of peas. add the egg and run the machine until the dough just barely comes together.
2. turn the dough out onto a countertop and knead it a few times to completely bring it together. roll it out between 2 pieces of wax paper until it is a roughly 12-inch circle. carefully press the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. put the crust into the freezer for at least 20 minutes. meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. loosely cover the crust with aluminum foil and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, until the crust is lightly golden at the edges. set the crust on a wire rack until you are ready to add the filling.
then, make the filling
1. lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
2. heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the shallots and saute, stirring, until they are soft, about 2 minutes. add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
3. increase the heat to medium-high and add the rosemary and mushrooms (if the mushrooms won't all fit at first, just add half of them and add more as they cook down and reduce in size). keep cooking the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until the liquid they have released evaporates, about 10 minutes. add the salt and pepper and remove the pan from the heat.
4. in a medium bowl, stir together the mascarpone and milk until they are smooth. add the eggs and both cheeses and stir to combine. add the mushrooms and mix everything together.
5. pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake it in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the filling is puffed and golden.
6. let the tart cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Sourdough Pizza with Oyster Mushrooms, Garlic, Smoked Mozzarella and Rosemary
Makes one large pizza.
For the pizza dough:
1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup sourdough starter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1/4-1/2 cup more)
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
For the pizza toppings:
1 cup sliced fresh oyster mushrooms
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
2 cups smoked mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
Prepare the dough: in the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to submerge the yeast. Allow the mixture to sit and proof for 3-5 minutes, until frothy. Add in the sourdough starter, salt, and half of the flour. Use the dough hook to mix the ingredients until they just come together (2-ish minutes). Turn the mixer off and allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.
Once rested, add the remaining flour and vital wheat gluten to the mixture. Use the dough hook to work the dough into a semi-sticky ball. Continue kneading for about 6-8 minutes. By touch, the dough will probably seem really sticky. But lightly dust some flour on it and voila! the stickiness goes away. Lightly coat the bowl with olive oil, turning the dough in it once, to coat. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise until doubled (about 1 – 1½ hours).
Prepare the pizza: preheat your oven and a large pizza stone at 550 degrees F (if your oven only goes up to 500, that’s okay) for at least 20 minutes.
Turn the dough out to a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Place the dough on your preheated pizza stone, working quickly. Start at the center of the dough, working outwards, using your fingertips to press the dough to about a 1/4-inch thick, gently stretching the dough until it reaches the diameter you want (I got a 16-inch pizza). You can create a lip, or raised crust, if you want (I prefer not). Prick with a fork about 8 times all over the dough then bake for about 5 minutes, until cooked, but not long enough to brown the crust.
Spread the prepared pesto on the crust, leaving about a half-inch around the outside. Arrange the mushrooms evenly over the pizza, then sprinkle on the garlic, rosemary, mozzarella, and feta cheese.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the top of the pizza is bubbly and golden brown. Let the pizza rest for 3-4 minutes before cutting into slices. Eat while warm!
· ½ lb green beans
· 1 lb king oyster mushrooms
· 2 cloves garlic
· 2 tsp fish sauce
· 2 tsp sweet soy sauce
· 1 tsp sugar
· ½ tsp ground pepper
· 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Top and tail green beans and slice the oyster mushrooms. Set aside.
2. Finely mince the garlic. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, sugar, and pepper.
4. In a wok or large frying pan, over medium high heat, heat the oil.
5. Once the oil is shimmering, add the green beans and oyster mushrooms. Stir fry for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms start to turn golden brown and the green beans are mostly cooked.
6. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
7. Add the sauce mixture and cook for another minute.
8. Serve over noodles or rice.
Ricotta and Oyster Mushroom Lasagna
Yields 4-6 servings
· 6 lasagna noodles
· 2 medium onions (350 g), sliced
· 1 lb oyster mushrooms ( 454 g), sliced
· 3 cups ricotta cheese (750 g)
· 4 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
· 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
· 1½ eggs
· 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
· 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
· 4 Tbsp butter or vegetable, or olive oil (butter recommended for better flavor)
· 1¾ tsp salt (1 tsp for ricotta filling, ¾ tsp for sauteed onions and mushrooms)
· ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or as per instructions on the package. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, dill, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside
4. Preheat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Add onions and saute over medium heat for 9-10 minutes, until translucent and golden brown. Add ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper when almost done. Transfer into a bowl
5. Using the same skillet, saute oyster mushrooms with 2 tablespoons butter or oil over high heat for 5-6 minutes
6. Turn heat to medium, add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, and saute for another 3 minutes
7. Add onions to mushrooms and continue sauteing over medium heat for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl
8. To assemble lasagna, spread about 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese filling on the bottom of a 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles on the bottom of the pan (you will need to cut them to needed length).
9. Spread half of the ricotta cheese filing over noodles. Top with half of oyster mushroom and onion mix, followed by 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
10. Repeat another layer
11. Cover with foil, ensuring that foil does not touch the top of the lasagna
12. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 20 minutes
13. Cool for 10-15 minutes and serve
1 cup oyster mushrooms
1/2 of a green bell pepper
2 Tbsp. yellow onion
1 Tbsp. dry thyme
2 Tbsp. grape-seed oil
Sea salt (to taste)
Equipment: Wok or Saute pan
Remove mushroom ends.
Slice mushrooms into thin strips.
Heat the pan to medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp. of oil.
Cut the onions into ribbons.
Add half of the yellow onion to heat until golden brown.
Slice the bell pepper thin.
Add peppers, remaining onions, thyme and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms, remaining oil and sea salt to taste and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest!